We are glad that you have chosen to learn more about the Small Group Ministry at SJUMC. In addition to worshipping together as a community, we invite you to attend a small group. The United Methodist Church mission instructs us to “Go and make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world” and the SJUMC vision is “Loving God, Serving Others, Transforming Lives.” Some of you may be wondering how to honor God by doing either of these. While each of us is accountable to God for our own actions and how we live our life, we are not alone in our spiritual journey.
We are excited to share with you about how the Holy Spirit is at work throughout the small group ministries offered by SJUMC. SJUMC offers small groups on a monthly and sometimes bi-monthly basis. Some of the groups are focused more on teaching/learning and others may involve personal sharing, self-reflection, and encouragement. Think of a small group as a more intimate community where participants hold a safe and confidential space for each other. In this space, we acknowledge God’s presence as we begin with an opening prayer, reflect on scripture, discuss a devotional topic and then close with prayer.
Ongoing Small Groups
Some groups are meeting in person and virtually online.
- Caring for One Another group meets before church on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month — currently meeting via email to discuss insights on Soul Reset
- Emmaus Community reunion groups meet monthly
- Bible Survey
- Grief support
- Bring church to the residents at ACC Care Center and to Carlton Plaza
- Topical or seasonal Bible study groups are offered throughout the year. Please check back to see which study will be offered next.
Possible Upcoming Groups
The Small Group Ministry coordinators are considering the following topics this year:
- Studying God’s promises
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Meditating on God’s word
- Creating scripture art
- Studying a book of the Bible
- Spiritual accountability groups — checking in regularly on personal spiritual goals and insights
God uses each one of us to minister to one another and He equips us to do what He has called us to do. Please contact the church office if you would like to find out about any of the small groups listed above or if there is a topic you would be interested in facilitating.
We hope you will be open to joining a small group this year.
— Mary Nakamura & Mindy Takechi
SJUMC Small Group Ministry Coordinators
If you would like to be contacted about joining a small group, please complete the contact request form here.